Sunday, February 7, 2010

Google Wave

Google Wave is a program that I was not yet familiar with when I read the article posted on Black Board. I think the idea behind Google Wave is a great. It brings distance learning activities to a convenient level, making it more likely to be used. I also really liked the fact that a teacher can log on and see exactly what every body put forth in a project. The teacher can also view all conversation pieces between students. I think this is an excellent option because it allows teachers to grade according to effort put forth from each student, as opposed to grading everyone the same based on the finished product.


Another feature of Google Wave that I found to seem very useful is the program’s outstanding spell checker. As opposed to other spell checkers, Google Wave will check the spelling of a word based on context, not just dictionary spelling. The word may be spelled correctly, but is not used in the correct context; Google Wave will underline the word to signify that there is an error. Many spelling mistakes have gone unnoticed in other programs, such as Microsoft Word, because the author does not realize that a mistake was made.

I think Google Wave has great potential in becoming a key tool in education. It is especially helpful that the program is free to use. I think that because of this and all its capabilities Google Wave could be an asset to teachers and schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment